WVCTSI 2019 Annual Meeting
Destination: Summit -- Reaching Impactful Research Heights
A PDF version of the full meeting agenda is available here.
APRIL 2, 2019
9:00 am Event Check-in Opens (Chesapeake Entry)
10:00 am Welcome and Opening Remarks (Chesapeake Room)
Sally Hodder, MD, Director WVCTSI & Associate Vice President for Clinical and Translational Science, West Virginia University
10:20 am Featured Presentations: Perspectives on Addiction Treatment & Research (Chesapeake Room)
“Ending the Opioid Crisis in the U.S.: An Implementation Science Framework”
Frederick L. Altice, MD, MA, Director of Clinical and Community Research, the Community Health Care Van and the HIV in Prisons Program; Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University
“Opioids in WV: A Look at the Future”
Christina Mullins, Commissioner for the Bureau for Behavioral Health, West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
“Novel and Innovative Studies on Addiction Treatment”
James J. Mahoney, III, PhD, Assistant Professor and Clinical Neuropsychologist, West Virginia University; WVCTSI Research Scholar
Panel discussion moderated by Dr. Sally Hodder
11:45 pm Leading the Way in Addiction Research: Scientific Presentations (Chesapeake Room)
- Ruchi Bhandari, PhD, Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, West Virginia University
- Richard Egleton, PhD, Co-Director of Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program, Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine; Marshall University Professional Development Co-Lead, WVCTSI
- Chris Ferari, Medical Student, West Virginia University
Session Chair: Drema Mace, PhD, MSP, WVCTSI Partner Site Director; Executive Director, Center for Rural and Community Health, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
12:30 pm Networking Lunch (Cameo Ballroom)
Enjoy lunch and get to know new colleagues from around the state.
1:30 pm Feature Presentation (Chesapeake Room)
"The cystic fibrosis story from gene discovery to clinical success”
Mitchell Drumm, PhD, Professor, Department of Pediatrics; Professor,
Department of Genetics and Genome Sciences; Director, The Research Institute for Children’s Health; Connie and Jim Brown Professor in Cystic Fibrosis Research; Case Western Reserve University
2:15 pm Panel Discussion: “What Every Early-Stage Investigator Needs to Know” (Chesapeake Room)
Lisa Salati, PhD, Assistant Vice President for Graduate Education, Health Sciences, and Professor and Vice Chair, Biochemistry, West Virginia University; Co-Director, Professional Development Core, WVCTSI
Mitchell Drumm, PhD
Frederick L. Altice, MD, MA
Moderated by: Julie Lockman, PhD, Director of Investigator Development and Professional Development Core, WVCTSI; Director of Faculty Affairs and Academic Initiatives, West Virginia University Health Sciences Center
3:00 pm Oral Scientific Presentations (Chesapeake Room)
- Ariel Agmon, PhD, Professor, WVU School of Medicine Department of Neuroscience; WVCTSI Pilot Grant Recipient
- Maria Hafez, MD, Hematology and Oncology Fellow, WVU School of Medicine
- Xuefeng Ren, MD, Director, Experimental Stroke Core; Research Assistant Professor, Dept. of Neuroscience, Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Cell Biology, Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute, West Virginia University; WVCTSI Pilot Grant Recipient
- Monica Valentovic, PhD, Research Cluster Coordinator and Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University
4:00 pm BREAK
Poster presenters may hang their posters between 4 and 5 pm. Assigned space corresponds to number in abstract listing.
5:00 pm Reception and Poster Session (Cameo Ballroom)
Poster judges should report to the judges table for judging forms and assignments. Presenters should stand by their posters to share their work.
A listing of abstract titles is included in the meeting packet. Full abstracts are available on the event website. Posters must be removed at the conclusion of the poster session.
7:00 pm Dinner (Chesapeake Room)
Featured Address: “Making Positive Change During America’s Heroin Epidemic”
Jan Rader, Chief, Huntington Fire Department
Poster and Oral Research Presentation Awards
APRIL 3, 2019
7:30 am General Breakfast (Eisenhower Lobby)
Central breakfast buffet for all attendees.
7:30 am to 9:00 am FACTS (Females Advancing Clinical and Translational Science) Networking Breakfast (Eisenhower A-B)
Open to all interested in learning more about the FACTS initiative.
7:30 am to 8:30 am Partner Site Director Breakfast Meeting (Eisenhower C)
Meeting of WVCTSI partner site directors; invitation only
8:30 am to 10:00 am Community Advisory Board Meeting (Eisenhower C)
Quarterly Meeting of WVCTSI Community Advisory Board; invitation only
9:00 am to 10:00 am Grant Writing Groups for Research Funding Success (Eisenhower A-B)
- Matthew J. Dietz, MD, Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopaedics, WVU School of Medicine
- Joan M. Lakoski, PhD, Director, Proposal Development, WVCTSI and WV Stroke CoBRE; Adjunct Professor, WVU School of Pharmacy
- Velvet Journigan, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Marshall University School of Pharmacy
- Suzy Walter, PhD, FNP-BC, Assistant Professor, WVU School of Nursing
- Sergiy Yakovenko, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Human Performance – Exercise Physiology, WVU School of Medicine
9:00 am to 11:00 am Individual Help Clinics (The Theatre)
Attendees who have signed up in advance should check in at the designated room 5 minutes before his/her scheduled time slot.
- iLab service request and delivery tracking tool (Emily Morgan, MPH, Clinical Services Integration Coordinator, WVCTSI)
- REDCap (Brian Phillips, Regulatory Systems Analyst, WVCTSI)
- Biostatistics/Study Design (Tony Fang, PhD, Biostatistician, WVCTSI)
Session Facilitator: Wes Kimble, MPA, Clinical Services Integration Manager, Clinical Services Integration Manager
10:00 am to 11:00 am Early-Stage Investigator Advisory Board Meeting (Eisenhower C)
First Meeting of WVCTSI’s ESI Advisory Board; invitation only
10:30 am to Noon Grant Reviewer Workshop (Eisenhower A-B)
This session will include short presentations detailing guidelines for NIH-style grant review, panel discussion with experienced grant reviewers, breakout tables for participants to conduct a mock grant review.
Gary Rankin, PhD, Associate Director and Pilot Program Director, WVCTSI; Vice Dean of Basic Sciences; Chair and Professor, Biomedical Sciences, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine, Marshall University
Meghan Reeves, MPH, Investigator Development Manager, WVCTSI
11:00 am to Noon West Virginia Practice-Based Research Network Steering Committee Meeting (Eisenhower C)
Monthly meeting of WVPBRN Steering Committee; invitation only
11:00 am Lunch
Boxed lunches will be available in the Eisenhower Lobby beginning at 11:00 am. Feel free to take one to a session or grab one for the road.
1:00 pm to 3:00 pm The Barn at Montwell Commons (Optional Activity)
A valuable part of the work of WVCTSI is within the Community Engagement Core. But what does community engagement really look like in a community? If you would like to participate in a WVCTSI community engagement experience, please join us at the Montwell Commons Project to tour a community engagement hub that includes Walking Trails connecting the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine to downtown Lewisburg, Waste Not, Want Not Gleaning Project working with local farmers to produce and sell their products, The Montwell Barn for community engagement activities and an industrial kitchen for Culinary Medicine Program for WVSOM students. This project highlights how infrastructure is built that will drive community participatory research for the future.
Guests will drive from the Greenbrier to the Barn at Montwell Commons. Please see the postcard included in your meeting packet for driving directions. Directions are also available at the meeting check in table.
Our special thanks to the team at WVSOM for coordinating this activity for our attendees.
Participants will be e-mailed a brief survey in the coming days to gather feedback about the 2019 WVCTSI Annual Meeting. Please take a few moments to complete the survey which will help with future planning efforts.
Thank you for participating in the 2019 WVCTSI Annual Meeting.